Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

April Poem-A-Day: Day 2

Today's Prompt: Today, I want you to write an outsider poem. You can be the outsider; someone else can be the outsider; or it can even be an animal or inanimate object that's the outsider. As usual, get creative with the prompt and don't be afraid to stretch the limits.

And my poem (which, I admit, is borrowing from a story I've previously written):

Seeking Tolerance

I only wanted to stay warm
And find a place to rest
But the loud noise startled me
And now I am a pest

You stayed away another day
I thought you'd welcomed me
Instead you set out mothballs,
which smells painfully bad to me

I cannot help biology
I wish you'd let me stay
I'll eat mice and other vermin
And try not to spray

Although it is my only defense
I know it has no place
But perhaps we could coexist
If you'd just accept my race

Instead I wander aimlessly
Surviving, hungry and sad
It's hard to be a skunk in the suburbs
When your disappearance makes people glad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home