Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

A few anecdotes

You know, I promised myself this wouldn't be about my kids. But:

While taking a walk today, my four-year-old pretended to be playing with a "mawn lower".

As he was learning to talk, my two-year-old used to call every drink "juice". When he wanted milk, he would still say "jus", but couple it with a fist with his thumb pointing up, representing the tiny bit of sign language I managed to teach him. Well, wanting to improve his vocabulary, I tried to make him repeat the word "milk" before handing him his sippy cup. "Jus" became "Juk", which is now "dok". All attempts to retrain him are met with patient chuckles (by him). The night before his first day of school, I came up with the idea that he could use a tshirt with a translation guide so people other than me could understand him. But now, instead of stressing over my son's speech development difficulties, I am simply enjoying the relative quiet (compared to how much chatter will be orbitting around me once I have three talking children), and get him ready for bedtime by asking if he's ready for his "dok" and bok.

My seven-year-old created a Mii named Butaxe.

When my four-year-old has to take a dump, he says he has to go "the badliest".

My two-year-old likes to fake burp.

My four-year-old doesn't like orgle borgles because they have "inappropriate words in them".

These guys are characters, and while they manage to drive me crazy in the morning when they can't make it downstairs by seven-thirty for breakfast to have enough time to eat breakfast by eight so we can get ready and out the door and make it to school by eight-fifteen (yes, I'm a little hyper-sensitive to schedules), they make my life worthwhile. I need to make sure to tell them that more often. (And seeing as they respond incredibly well to compliments, and incredibly counter-productively to criticism and my yelling at the top of my lungs, you'd think I'd learn).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home