Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Opposite of Green

So today is Earth Day. And leading up to Earth Day, I've been focusing on making changes to my life to be more environmentally responsible. I've got 3 reusable bags that I keep in my car and take whenever I go shopping. Just last week alone, I probably used 30 less bags than I would have by using these bags. Mind you, that probably means I've been shopping too much, but anyhow. I use the bags not only at the grocery store, but also when I shop anywhere else - Office Max, WalMart, even Ann Taylor, Gap, and a couple other clothing stores. I bought two of the bags at Whole Foods (one of the few items that are actually cheaper there than elsewhere - $1). I've been looking into composting, trying to waste less, and recycling even more.

So I figured Earth Day would be a no-brainer, right? Wrong. First of all, I drove to the boys' school to pick them up. On Earth Day. On a beautiful, sunny, 75 degree day! Of course, it's because my eldest had Fencing after school and I wouldn't have enough time to walk home with 2 kids then turn around and pick up the eldest. It just logically wouldn't work out. So I forgave myself. By the time it was time to pick up the eldest, though, my husband came home and went for a walk with the younger two and the dog. They headed to the playground, and so suggested that I drop off #1 on my way home. Well, since he had to go to the bathroom, I drove home, let him use the facilities, then drove down the street - 1 1/2 blocks - to drop him off. In my defense, I had to start dinner, and spent the entire time that they were playing at the playground cooking up a three-course meal (not particularly environmental either, is it?).

But, all was not lost. After putting the boys to bed, my husband and I sat outside and read. We used natural lighting, didn't watch television like we normally would have, and we enjoyed nature. No carbon footprints for that one hour.

But now, we're in the basement, pot lights on, television on, dryer running, computer on. Oh well.

I guess since I've been making strides at being more green in general, I can't be too hard on myself for one particular day. Just like with exercise. What matters is the direction in which I travel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home