Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Friday, April 03, 2009

April Poem-A-Day: Day 3

Today's prompt: Take the phrase "The problem with (blank)" and replace the "(blank)" with a word or phrase. Make this the title of your poem and then write a poem to fit with or juxtapose against that title. For instance, you could have poems with the titles of "The problem with government," "The problem with advanced mathematics," or "The problem with bipolar penguins." You know the drill: have fun, be creative.

The Problem With Optimism

I want to have a crappy day
The weather fits my mood
But since I have to stay inside
With friends I'll have good food

I want to be all bitchy
The kids are driving me mad
But look how well they get along
and it's good they have a sane dad

I'm overwhelmed at work today
Too many tasks are due
But I guess I don't have to do laundry
Until my work is through

I dipped my hair in syrup
Got my hand pooped on by a bird
My kid needed a diaper change
The situation was absurd

But the day was warm and sunny
And the kids and I played outside
And when he handed me fifth row tickets
I was certainly surprised

Forget the glass half full crap
I'm grateful for the glass
If you hate your life, then change it
Or, accept it with some class

The problem with being an optimist
Is that you see the best in life
Which is fine as you live day to day
But a writer needs some strife

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home