Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Stop Waiting On the World To Change!

AKA Rock the Vote!

In my last post, I mentioned that I would prefer Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama because I believe she would be more likely to get things done. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in that judgment, and I am always ready (though perhaps not immediately) to admit when I'm wrong. Two things have led me to change my opinion.

First, my husband pointed out that if Barack Obama were to be elected president, nobody would want to be seen as obstructionist in the era of new hope and idealism. I had to concede that I hadn't thought of that.

The second person to bring me fresh new insight was my husband's younger brother, who just today shared this commentary and rejuvenated my idealism and hope.

This renewed sense of caring about the world reminds me of the John Maher song, "Waiting On the World To Change." I see it as being the voice of those ten to twenty years younger than me, those Gen-X'ers (or is that me? Would the twenty-something people be Gen-Y?), not really cynical, but not feeling in control.

That song pisses me off. Actually, just one line in particular:
"We just feel like we don't have the means
To rise above and beat it"

This guy is 30 years old. Why do I mention this? Because he's old enough to vote. My brother-in-law (the one brother who hasn't piped in on the presidential issue) doesn't vote because statistically (he is an actuary) he knows that one vote does not make a difference. Fine, that may be true, but when voter turnout is an abysmal 64% in the presidential election, then perhaps if the other frickin' 36% of the people didn't all believe the same thing and would get off their tushies (my 3-year-old's favorite word these days since it hasn't officially been declared "inappropriate") and vote each of those one votes would make a difference.

So unless John Mayer and all his friends - and all those fans of his that shine their cellphone lights during that song during his concert, and all those who listen to the song the radio or on Sirius or on CD or their iPods (or tapes, why not?) and nod in agreement with his deep words - actually vote, then I don't want their generation complaining about the next administration - or about how horrible the last eight years have been.

Yes, this post is four years overdue, but seriously, VOTE!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home