Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

April P.A.D. Day 8

Wow, I actually managed to do it! It almost didn't happen, considering I've been struggling to get my computer working like it should for this new project I'm on. I'm commuting 30 minutes for the first time since the summer of 2000, and while I'm on the job, I'm struggling with a system that doesn't want to work for me! What a pain! And so in the evenings, after putting the boys to bed, I'm trying to get the computer fixed, and it hasn't happened yet. So yes, I am surprised that I managed to get this written.

Today's Prompt: For today's prompt, I want you to write a poem about either a specific routine or routines in general. Maybe something related to taking out the trash each week or washing the dishes every night--or something more bizarre (yet still a routine).

Here's what I managed to spit out... I know, not particularly creative. At best, I managed to rhyme. Sorry. I'll try harder next time...I hope!

Weeknights

I put the kids
to bed each night
a little after eight

I head downstairs
to watch tv
relax and vegetate

A happy time
A restful time
Two hours just for me

Forgetting work
Forgetting kids
De-stressing, being free

The clock ticks on,
approaching ten,
When I should head upstairs

Sleep awaits
But much to do
Before I can get there

Let out the dog,
make lunches three,
And clean what has been messed

And once upstairs
there's more to do
before I get to rest

wear my pj's
brush my teeth
make sure the kids are fine

so once again
I dread the ten
And the end of resting time

For once I sleep
It starts again
Restart the daily grind

Until, of course,
The weekend
When we all get to unwind

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home