Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Longterm Effects of Underwire Technology

In the interest of some day not having breasts drooping down to my belly button, I'm curious. Mind you, I'm far from being at risk of having that particular problem, but as gravity is still likely to affect me, I - with a scientist's curiosity - am wondering if any studies have been done regarding the long term effects of underwire usage.

Underwire was added to brassieres to help boost and enhance cleavage. This was, I'm sure, the invention of man (as opposed to woman, not gorillas). I can personally attest to the fact that they are not particularly comfortable, although yes, some bras can be found that are comfortable. But since they tend to set off security alarms at airports, I at least (though I cannot speak for all women) am aware of which bras have underwire and which do not.

So here's my question. Do breasts have muscular memory (or whatever term it would be for whatever breasts are made of)? Is there any long term benefit to using underwire bras versus non underwire bras? After thirty years of discomfort - wearing underwire bras and high heels (another one of those man-made inventions I could blog about - perhaps another day) - could a woman stop wearing bras and still be perky and upright? Or will gravity hit her the same as it hits some sports bra or non-underwire wearing woman of the same proportions?

Then again, can a judgment be made that the woman who was not a slave to underwire is less likely to be adversely affected by the effects of gravity?

But then, was she then less likely to have benefited from the - how can I say this politely - positive opinion (aka ogling) that her breasts - and subsequently her general appearance - may have received for said thirty years?

And how does breastfeeding factor in? Does the variation in size relax the tissue, making it more apt to sag, or does the breastfeeding itself strengthen the tissue overall?

And finally, why do we care? Why is it okay for women to show cleavage (though not someone too young, that's just wrong) but not to breastfeed in public?

Just a thought, Mr. Fox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home