Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

April PAD: Day 9 "Welcome To High School"

Today's Prompt: For today's prompt, I want you write a poem about a memory. The memory can be good or bad. The memory can be a blend of several memories. I suppose it could even be a memory that you're not sure you remember correctly. Take your time finding a good one (or good ones).

Welcome to High School

Tenth grade
Right after lunch
we enter the room
for an hour of intense learning

What I remember most
is that feeling
on the first day of class
when our teacher said
our tests would be
open notes

I can't recall
but I must have smiled
if only to myself

The notes I took
all year long
were thorough, quite complete

and yet

as I sat
in that same chair
looking down
at each exam
the memory
of my inner smile
of my naive joy
rushed back to me
and the fear plunged deeper
as I realized
again and again
that it's only open notes
because it didn't really help

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home