Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Thursday, July 02, 2009

If My Life Were a Movie

It's been quite a summer so far. Work-wise, I haven't had much to do, which sucks only because we're still paying a sitter.

I don't believe that life is a movie, but sometimes, seemingly disparate things seem to fit together in such a way that you can't help but find the common theme.

Let me preface this by saying that I am happy. Mostly. I'm tired and cranky, and am certainly sick of the rain, but I've got a great family, great friends and neighbors, a great job where the management actually cares, and I am in great health. We're financially secure, have a roof over our heads, and live in a city where, despite the negative perception, remains a nice town with things to do with or without kids. Yes, I'm talking about Cleveland.

So why did I have to start off with that cheesy happy proclamation?

Earlier this summer, my mother-in-law had a double mastectomy after being diagnosed late this spring with breast cancer. She's obviously having a hard time with it, and we're all trying to be there for her.

Yesterday, the giant oak tree in front of our house was taken down. The crew arrived right before 8:30 and didn't leave until after 5.

And on Tuesday morning, my husband or I will be driving out to Avon Lake to drop off our eleven-and-a-half year old dog, Friday, to get his leg amputated. His recurrent tumor was removed for the third time late in March, and already it's come back in full force. It's been coming, but we kept putting off making the call. Finally, yesterday, I made the appointment. I'm sure we're going to have a harder time dealing with it than he will, or at least that's what we keep telling ourselves.

But I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the blahs that I've been feeling today. But I bet I could handle this mood a little better if I hadn't gotten the song "There's a hole in my heart that can only be filled by you" (I guess the song is actually called Hole Hearted) by Extreme stuck in my head. And not all the lyrics, which I don't know, but just that line.

That song, I suppose, would be the soundtrack of my Life as a Movie, which I suppose I would have to call "Hole-hearted". But I suppose the summer of 95 would make more sense with that title. Right, Manish?

I guess another song on the soundtrack would be "Friday, I'm in Love" by the Cure.
And apparently "If I Could Turn Back Time" by Cher (since that just popped in my head too).
Hell, while we're at it, let's throw in Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings".

Before long, I'm sure a Michael Jackson number would be added, given the airtime he's been getting over the past week.

Why does my head jump directly to cheesy eighties and nineties music?

I would have to include something like:
Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be Happy"
Will Smith's "Summertime"
I suppose, Bananarama's "Cruel Summer" would fit
and must include Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" only because that's my happy song.

But while we're adding happy songs, I'll have to list:
"Break my Stride" by Matthew Wilder
"No One Is To Blame" by Howard Jones (maybe not happy, but I like it)
"I Melt With You" by Modern English.

So, what would make up the soundtrack for your life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home