Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Is Santa Claus Real

So my five-year-old asked me if Santa Claus is real. Honestly, we’ve never presented him as real, but somehow, between television and mall Santa’s, he seems to believe. I have a personal rule that I will never lie to my kids. So there I was, faced with a quandary. Do I allow him to continue to believe in Santa Claus, or do I let him keep his faith in me?
Kid: Is Santa Claus real?
Me: Do you believe he is?
Kid: Yeah
Me: There you are
I thought that was pretty smooth of me. No lies, and he can still believe. I’d hate to crush the spirit of a five-year-old. But still, he wasn’t satisfied.
Kid: So is he real?
So there we were, driving across town, and he just wasn’t satisfied with my answer. What was I to say? Well, I am very proud of the answer I came up with.
Me: He’s as real as God.

Sadly, the story doesn’t end there. Okay, not so sadly. More amusingly to me…
Kid: Mommy, could you cover me with leaves except for my legs so I look like a Christmas tree? Then I can find out if Santa Claus is real.

1 Comments:

Blogger Henry Martin said...

Sadly, indeed.

Since you have never said that the character "Santa Claus" is real, then how can you play with a child's mind by proclaiming he is as "real as God"?

Since you don't believe in the myth of Santa, I have to assume that you don't believe in God as well. That is sad. And sadder still is the fact that you have set up your child to question the existence of God once the Santa myth is exposed. If Santa is not "real," how can "God" be real?

I hope that the TRUE meaning of Christmas gets through to this young child.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home