Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

9/11

I just threw away a sour cream container with an expiration date of September 11. And I just saw something else with that date on it. Each time, I remembered THE 9/11 - you know, 2001, twin towers, terrorist attack, the start of it all.

I confess, 9/11 made me get cable. I was horrified by what happened, and spent that day on the computer trying to find out about my friends and relatives, on the phone with my mom and sister as we kept each other up to date on who we had heard from or about, and in front of the television trying to make sense of what happened. I remember that day clearly, and was definitely struck by the stark contrast between what was happening there and my own comfortable, cushy life safe in Cleveland. My husband called from work and woke me up to tell me what had occurred. Until then, my day was like any other as a new mother.

My first born was less than two months old that day, and it saddens me that none of my kids have ever known the world before 9/11. And unfortunately, in those days of new motherhood, I eventually found I couldn't watch anymore. Everyone I knew was fine, despite some close calls (including a close childhood friend who worked across the street and took a ferry back to her place in New Jersey after the first plane hit. She also happened to miss the Tsunami in Asia by a day, and was recently in London during the foiled terrorist plot. This girl has either the most incredible or the absolute worst luck, but either way, I think I might hold off on vacationing with her. I'd love to make her a character in a story, but it would seem contrived; what's amazing is that it's true). As I was saying, everyone was fine, and I needed to move on. I felt overwhelmed as a new mom, and watched t.v. to feel less isolated. Unfortunately, network televisions showed only The Aftermath 24/7 and so we got cable. It sounds shallow, but it's true.

But what saddens me - nay, what angers me - is the liberties the government has taken (both meanings apply) in the name of 9/11. 9/11 has become an excuse. I wonder, if seeing the date stamped on the bottom of a plastic tub can spark such memories for me, how does it affect those who survived it, or who lost someone that day. And sadly, I seriously wonder if the president will try to push legislation declaring that date off limits. Goods will expire September 10 or 12. No beverages can be born on September 11. Library books may not be due that day, The post office should be closed so mail cannot be postmarked on that date. By making the day a national holiday, it could free everyone up to hold or attend fundraising run-a-thons or visit memorials. Maybe we could bring back Hands Across America to show those terrorists that they could not break us.

Man, why am I so cynical? I may as well blame it on 9/11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home