Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Friday, June 23, 2006

The Bed Rest Chronicles, day 3

Friday, June 23, 2006 4:21pm

I just got a few hours to myself, and I’d say I pretty much wasted it. It’s still not over; not sure when hubby will be back with the boys. But it’s Friday evening now and I’m thinking about what we’re going to do.

I watched my soaps, got information about consolidating student loans (yes, we’re about to have our third kid and we’re still paying back loans), almost ordered the boys’ bedroom furniture (hubby ended up going into the store and ordering it in person, since they had a piece there we could have bought cheaper that he wanted to check out), looked up party favors, and submitted a story to an online contest. I did not, however, do any writing. What am I afraid of? Why won’t I start? Two months is not a lot of time to write a novel, and if I don’t get started now it’s never going to happen. But I just don’t know what to write about. My mind is in a very boring place right now.

I need two characters, two antagonists, who would be strong and interesting enough to sustain a short novel. But I want something fun and different. Have you read “Ella Minnow Pea” by Mark Dunn? That’s the kind of book I want to write. It’s about a fictional island off the coast of South Carolina where they honor Neville Nollop (sp?), the man who came up with the phrase “The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.” One day, one of the letters from this phrase, which is on their city hall or something, falls, and the elders decide that it’s Nollop’s way of telling the people that they’re overusing that letter. So it’s banned. And after three offenses – using the letter – people are banished from the island. Eventually, it’s down to just a few people who must save the island, since most people are gone.

It’s silly, absurd, and brilliant. And it’s a quick read. And it totally feeds my inner language geek. Anyhow, that’s the kind of book I want to write.

Anyhow, I went to the doctor’s today and all is well. I’ll be going weekly, oh joy. The hospital is 25 minutes away, because the Cleveland Clinic saw fit to close OB in the downtown campus (the offices 7 minutes away from home) last year. Oh, and my second kid was born 17 minutes after I arrived at the hospital. You do the math.

So spirits are still fine. We’re thinking of either having our friends over for dinner or taking the boys to see the movie “Cars.” We figure it should be a relatively safe outing, since I’d be sitting the whole time. Of course, with how often I have to go to the bathroom, maybe not. It’s just seriously been so long since we’ve been to the movies that it would be nice. The elder one was 2 ½ when we took him to see “Finding Nemo”. He has since been to plenty of movies with his grandmas, but I don’t think we’ve taken him to any. And since the little one loves cars, we think he may do okay with this movie. We’ll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home