Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Revisionist History

When I was younger, my family lived in a three-bedroom apartment in North Carolina. I remember that my parents slept in the first bedroom on the right, and my sister, brother, and I all shared the next bedroom – the master bedroom. And I remember the room at the end of the hall was where we would set up our Christmas tree.

The coolest thing I remembered about our apartment was that our bedroom had three twin beds, and my sister, brother, and I (or at least I) would jump from one bed to the next. It was a blast. I also remember a huge hill across the parking lot from our apartment.

Well, a few years back, I had the opportunity to return to the old apartment. Evidently, the “huge hill” really wasn’t. But then again, my twenty-something year old eyes were relying on the memories of a six year old.

As for the beds – well, my sister recently informed me that they didn't exist either. We apparently never had twin beds in North Carolina. Rather, the room had a crib and a full bed. That’s it. So clearly, there was no jumping going on.

So now, my clearest memories of my three years in North Carolina include:
• sitting in the kitchen watching a Daddy Longleg walk up my arm, not freaked out until my family showed up and told me not to panic while my dad got out a fly swatter and “saved” me;
• eating my first cereal – Apple Jacks, still an occasional favorite – when we first moved in;
• getting a splinter, then getting to choose who got to watch “Gilligan’s Island” and eat ice cream with me afterwards. I don’t remember whom I chose, but I know everyone ended up watching it; and
• going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and falling in because somebody didn’t put the seat down.

Yeah, that about sums it up. I have a few more memories, but I’m afraid to mention them because these may all turn out to be false, too. Maybe that’s why I’m a writer. I can make up all the memories I want and nobody can say they didn’t happen because I’m making up the characters that these events happen to, too. It’s quite empowering, really.

In college, I decided that regret was useless. Really, if I’m happy with who I am today, then I have no reason to regret anything, because anything different in my past would mean that I would be a different person today. And for the most part, I still believe that to be true. Of course, I’m also the kind of person who will rehearse a line over and over before I say anything, to make sure I won’t be misunderstood and my words won’t offend.

But now, there’s an added reason not to regret anything. If I don’t actually remember events in my past, then how could I be sure I did anything wrong?

How’s that for a great defense?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home