Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I Think I May Be Losing My Mind

I think I may be losing my mind. Seriously. I’m alone in the house (except for my dog), typing away (after wasting a good amount of time on the internet), with the air conditioner on. And I hear music. I don’t recognize the song, but it’s definitely there. There are no workers outside that might be playing their radio. A little earlier, I had heard the neighbor practicing some wind instrument (I’m so bad at identifying – perhaps clarinet?), but that’s done now.

The song sounds a little like “Take a Picture” by Filter, or some other song by them. But it’s over now, and is replaced by some other song. Actually, it sounds more like an orchestra warming up. Seriously, a radio is faintly running in my head. Now, normally, I would go upstairs and make sure both clock radios (mine and my husband’s) are turned off, but I can’t – or at least, I shouldn’t. Besides, my clock radio is set for 7 am, and it certainly didn’t go off then. Besides, this has happened before. When I’m lying in bed. And my husband cannot hear it. So unless there’s some clock radio buried in the walls somewhere (operated by a mouse or something, I don’t know, because I don’t hear it all the time), this music must be in my head.

Okay, it’s gone now. All I hear is the familiar buzz of the air conditioner and the tapping of the keyboard. That ought to be of some comfort to me, and yet I find myself straining to hear it again, missing my mind’s soundtrack.

Well, silence only pleases for so long before I need a mental reprieve. And so the television is on. I understand why people keep music on in the background. Perhaps the world needs a commercial channel, airing commercials around the clock, with “shows” featuring commercials from the past. You know, something that I could tune out. It would be cool seeing celebrities in the bit parts they were in before they hit it big, like the Dr. Pepper commercial with Jason Alexander (George Costanza). I mean, right now I’m watching the A-Team, where Dennis Franz (quite thin and – obviously – much younger) plays the crooked owner of a used car dealership. I’m gathering that it’s an elaborate plot to get the van back after it was stolen.

But as I was saying, the music is gone, drowned out by B.A. Barracus and the rest of the A-Team. And here is a Scooby-Doo commercial. Which reminds me that I had once decided that if I ever stooped to getting a minivan, I’d paint it to look like either the A-Team van or the Mystery Machine. And now that we’re getting close to acquiring said van, I suppose a decision will have to be made. Let’s see, one was a group of gun-toting renegade do-gooders, the other was a group of pot-smoking teens. Hmm, which car would I like to drive my kids around in? And yes, I know, I’m way over-thinking this, especially since it’s never going to happen. Just like my writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home