Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

So I Still Haven’t Made It To Target.

Last I wrote, I mentioned that I was really looking forward to going to Target after not having been in two months. Well, that trip to Home Depot that my husband took lasted about three hours, so the Target trip had to be cancelled. And still, I have not been. On the plus side, bed rest is truly officially over. I went for a walk that day, then out to dinner at Tommy’s, where I proceeded to have contractions every three to five minutes. And so, after dinner, the whole family drove out to the hospital.

My folks came and took the boys home, then returned the next morning, since I was still there. Because, as you may or may not know, the baby was born.

Two days later, the same day that I left the hospital with my newborn, I went to a wedding. Many people wondered how I could do it, but really, I didn’t have a choice. When two of your closest friends get married, you have to attend. Besides, I had actually gotten a decent amount of rest the night before. Had the wedding been the following day, after having to get up in the middle of the night and handle diaper changes and everything else (instead of the nurses who kept my son in the nursery), I couldn’t have managed; I was barely functional the following day.

As I think back to that day, between coming home and going to this wedding, I have but one regret. I am fairly certain that I did not, in fact, eat any potatoes that day. I, a huge fan of the potato, failed to celebrate National Potato Day. In fact, after much regaling about the occasion, I completely forgot about it. For shame. I mean, sure, you could excuse the oversight because I had other, more "important" things to consider, but haven't you ever seen "Sixteen Candles"?

I suppose I could celebrate it in greater style next year, having potatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, especially when I will once again be responsible for preparing my own meals. In the meantime, let me console myself by saying I honored the magnificent food by refraining from eating it, much as a vegetarian respects animals by not eating them. Yes, for that one day, I was a pure potatoan.

Why yes, I have been rather sleep deprived for the past week. Why do you ask?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home