Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

I get it!

I just realized something last night. Those "Baby on Board" signs from the eighties, the ones that people put in their cars, and that Homer Simpson and his barbershop quartet wrote a song about, and that countless comedians have made fun of - I always thought they were silly. Geez, I was thinking of running into your car, but since there's a baby on board, maybe I won't. C'mon, what's the point?!

And then it dawned on me as I backed up my minivan and waved a quick thanks to the car that I inadvertently cut off. It's a warning to other drivers. Hello World, it says, I am a sleep-deprived, bad driver that has no choice but to be driving right now. If I cut you off or fail to signal or otherwise drive poorly, it may be because I haven't slept for months. If I fail to pull over for an emergency vehicle, I may not have heard the siren over the sound of my baby screaming in the back seat.

I wonder what else I've completely missed. I wonder what other insights I may have in this mental fog I'm living in. Who knew I'd be getting smarter. Then again, the fact that I'm gaining knowledge about a twenty year old bumper sticker may not count as my getting smarter. My going to bed now, since all three kids are asleep and the youngest will be up in an hour, would be smart. Or my stopping watching the Browns (although, in my defense, I did take a long nap through about three quarters of the game). Okay, time to get smarter. Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home