Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Words

I’d like a better vocabulary. I would like my kids to have a better vocabulary than I had growing up. So I always incorporate big words whenever I can so they become used to them. I’ve learned though, that what works on my kids doesn’t work in kids’ stories. I really can’t write a kids’ story that is remotely pedantic or it sucks. Heck, I can’t write any stories with a message or it’s blatantly obvious. That’s what the editor told me when she read the first 10 pages of my Gandhi story. And looking back at it, it’s a story that parents would like their kids to read, but not necessarily one that kids would spend their own money to buy. So I can either rewrite it or say screw it, let me distribute it to friends who want to make their kids read it and be happy with that. And honestly, the lazy Sharan side of me is really leaning toward that. I should make a few changes (like changing the name of Burger Heaven since that incidentally is a real chain in New York) but otherwise, I think ‘The Adventures of the Gandhi Gang, book one: Taking Down ’ is done.
So now, I need some help. I need to come up with a catchy name for a chain burger joint. Right now, I’m at Burger Chain. Please, share your suggestions. I mean, with how small-scale this thing is going to be, I don’t see Burger Heaven suing me, but nonetheless, now that I’ve been made aware of the chain’s existence, I should respect it (if only in name). FYI: It’s about a group of boys who want to be superheroes – the way Gandhi would have been.

But anyhow, back to words. There was once an episode of ‘Blossom’ where Joey mentioned that if you use a big word 3 times, you own it. So throughout this episode, Joey, the normally adorable dimwitted jock, utilized a certain big word (which one, I can’t remember. And I just spent about 10 minutes searching through tv.com trying to find it to no avail). The point is, I’ll have to try that.

Anyhow, Merriam Webster’s website, www.m-w.com has a word of the day that I used to subscribe to (and to which I just re-subscribed). The word today (as I write this, not as you read this) is

quidnunc: one who needs to know all the latest gossip; a busybody.

Don’t know when I’ll use that, but we’ll see. I did happen to browse through the latest Entertainment Weekly to read the article about Britney Spears’ recent performance at the MTV VMA Awards and have to agree with the one comment that this really wasn’t the career-ending performance people are trying to make it out to be. Read the article here if you’re interested, though the main points were 1) that nobody watches the VMAs, and 2) you can’t criticize Nicole Ritchie for being too skinny then turn around and criticize Britney – after having 2 kids – for being chunky. So based on that, and a little review of the music that was positive, I might have to consider listening to her new album and perhaps – dare I say it? – buying it. (gasp!) Of course, since the last time I bought any music was when I picked up a Dora CD for a friend’s kid’s birthday, I don’t know how alarming an admission that is. Or realistic.

Addle:
1) to become rotten: spoiled
2) to become confused.

I think I can use both definitions. There’s my word for the day. If you feel addled after reading this post, sorry. Perhaps a brain-hickey can do that sometimes.
Now, what was it that Joey always said?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home