Brain Hickey

A brain hickey, like a real hickey, is something that leaves its mark. The opposite of a brain fart (when you have a mental disconnect and can’t think of the simplest thing), a brain hickey is a thought so profound, so deep, so mentally tantalizing that it sticks with you. Maybe you’ll change your life because of the enlightenment you experience. Or maybe you’ll just think about what I said for the next few days and then it’ll gradually fade, like a real hickey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio, United States

I have three sons, a dog, and a very supportive husband. I get to write whatever I like as long as I don't ask him to read it.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Ode to the Meninges

“Neutral zone infraction. Five yard penalty. Repeat second down.” The little spaces in between that are so taken for granted. Hmm. The lull before the storm. The space between the tip of your toes and the inside of your shoes. Your clear nostrils. Life is made up of so many things that are taken for granted, so many cushions without which life would be unbearable. And yet we overlook them. The brief moment between when you do something stupid and when you realize it. Between when you run that red light and when the flash of the speed camera goes off. The time between when you take your medicine and when it kicks in. And, of course, that matter between the skull and the brain – the meninges.

A week ago today, I woke up with a headache unlike one I had ever known. It was throbbing and had me nauseated. I somehow managed to get the boys to school, then slept, with the little one wandering around the bedroom until he too fell asleep. The babysitter arrived at noon, at which time I handed over the little one and went back to sleep. I picked the boys up from school, gave them a snack, then let them watch tv while I slept. I got up for about 30 minutes after the boys went to bed, then went back to bed. Tuesday morning, since I didn’t feel any better, my husband took me into the ER, where they discovered that my headaches were caused by Viral Meningitis. I stayed in the hospital overnight and have been waiting for the headaches to go away since.

I’m a lot better now, as is evidenced by the fact that I’m actually able to get on the computer. But still, it’s the effects of drugs working right now, and once the drugs fade, the headaches will return.

But anyhow, the point is more that when they say to appreciate the little things in life, they never mention the meninges. And I think they should. So here’s to you, meninges. Thank you for separating my brain from my skull. Thank you, spinal fluid, for providing a cushion in which my brain can float. I appreciate you. I really do. Now, get back to work so I can, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home